What is important about 1920? This lady in the picture was born,who knew that she would end up being my Nana? Well I'm certainly glad that she was! She was a special lady to me. We had a lot of laughs through the years of growing up. I was lucky to have her in my life for such a long time, and that she was always there in it with her full mind. My parents were amazing people, always had my Nana fly over here, or we did many family trips to visit her over seas, the Ocean is huge, but never kept the relationship I had with her very far apart.
Tonight I came home to find out that she passed away today. She's been waiting for her husband (who passed 39 years ago) to come take her with him, she'd be waiting forever she'd say. She lost my Aunt Sue (her daughter-in-law) 19 years ago, and lost my Mom (her other daughter-in-law) 9 years ago, and lost my Dad (her son) 9 year sago as well. This woman was amazing! Fought through all the sad times, and yet still came out the other side with a brave face and smile. She always would say, when is he coming for me, which was my Grandad, I would always tell her they aren't ready yet to get the party started, Once the party is ready, he'll come. And he did today, April 19 , 2012. She had always said that she hoped she would just fall asleep and that would be it, and that's what happened!
Although I know she was 92, my heart breaks, another piece of me is gone. I've had a lot of loss in my life, and as I'm always told, "you only get thrown at you what you can handle", well I'd say this is enough.
What I'll miss the most are my Saturday morning cups of tea with her. Every Saturday morning I would make a cup of tea and give her a call in England, I looked forward to my Saturday's with her, we would laugh, cry, tell stories, it was special to me and I know it was to her as well.
Since my Dad passed away I've made her the centre of my family, she was the tie to my parents, a huge part of my life. I'll miss her laugh, her cheeky ways, her telling me off, her stories, her!
Last time I saw her in November 2011, she told me not to cry when she did go, just like every other time I left her, but the tears will not stop as I write this, sorry Nana!
She was admitted to hospital at the beginning of February this year with an infection, and she did get better, was put in a respite care for rehabilitation, and in the past couple of weeks she admitted she could not go back to living on her own and choose to go into a home. On Monday of this week my Uncle and Aunt moved her into a home in which she stayed 3 nights, then fell asleep to go to her party!
Hope the party was worth waiting for Nana, you will be greatly missed! I love you! xo We love you! xox0
2 comments:
that is such a beautiful tribute to your nana. I was only 18 when my gramma "went to have tea with her sisters in heaven" and not a day goes by that I don't think of her. I wish there was something I could do to help ease the pain in your heart but to make you smile think of the stories she will be telling your grandpa, and how very happy she is to be with him again.
*hUgS* girl. I too have lost both my parents and then shortly after losing my mom my Nanny died from lung cancer. It's never easy. Try to take in the love people will be giving and remember that time will help.
Post a Comment